Advanced Diploma in Ayurveda (Accredited Course Code HLT 62615, CRICOS code 089841A) from the Health Institute Australia is an 1200-hour Government Accredited, Austudy and CRICOS Approved Course. This course is the study course for becoming an Ayurvedic practitioner.
The Advanced Diploma of Ayurveda program is dedicated to the integration of authentic, ancient Vedic education with the enlightened Western ideas of today.
Click each title to expand:-
2016 Starting Dates:
You may choose one of two possible start dates in 2016:
- Intake 1 (summer): Mon 25th January 2016 to Fri 8th December 2017
- Intake 2 (winter): Mon 11th July 2016 to Fri 29th June 2018
and two possible start dates in 2017:-
- Intake 1 (summer): Mon 23rd January 2017
- Intake 2 (winter): Mon 10th July 2017
See Timetable for 2016/17 → for details.
See also Forms, Fees, Policies
|Qualification||Advanced Diploma of Ayurveda|
|CRICOS Course Code||089841A|
|VET National Code||HLT62615|
|Delivery mode||On-campus full time, 4 days per week attendance|
|Duration of course||2 years (104 weeks) for the Advanced Diploma
(2 years in total including the Diploma of Ayurvedic Lifestyle Consultation)
|Hours||1200 hours including 400 hours of supervised clinical training|
|Dates in 2016||Monday 23rd January 2016 – Fri 14 December 2018
Monday 10 July 2016 – Fri 28th June 2019
|Awarded by||Health Institute Australia|
|Pre-requisites||IELTS 5.5 for International students +
A First Aid certificate. See below for more details.
|Fee||Click here for forms, fees and policies|
|Entry requirements||IELTS score 5.5 is required for international students|
First Aid Certificate
A Senior First Aid certificate is a pre-requisite for industry placement, insurance purposes and professional membership of natural medicine associations. Students who are involved in any form of clinical practice at HIA (that is massage or consultations) must hold a current First Aid certificate and a copy is to be kept on file at all times. No clinical practice or certification will be granted unless a senior first aid certificate is provided.
Advanced Diploma of Ayurveda
The Advanced Diploma of Ayurveda is a nationally recognised vocational training course that draws from the extensive classical and authentic traditions of Ayurveda. With 1200 hours of training, this course provides a breadth and depth of learning that is second to none, and which has earned it the highest regard both nationally and internationally.
Whilst firmly anchored in the classical heritage of Ayurveda, the course is based on a synthesis of the current perspectives on health, along with an integration of contemporary well-being information and practices. This accredited Ayurvedic course has been developed in consultation with a wide range of teachers and practitioners of Ayurveda, including representatives of the health care industry and training authorities.
Deepen your spiritual and personal journey into health and healing. Incorporate all that you learn into your own life, so that you ‘walk your talk’ and serve as a role model for all that you preach and teach. This practitioner course is unique in that it is runs as a fixed course, in a set time, over three trimesters. Its foundation study is parallel with Certificate IV in Ayurvedic Lifestyle Consultation (now superseded by the Diploma of Ayurvedic Lifestyle Consultation), with its lifestyle counselling and preventative medicine emphasis. Both courses are eligible for Austudy.
The Health Institute Australia provides outstanding training for the Ayurvedic Practitioner in the following areas:
- It provides a strong foundation in the traditional principles of Ayurveda.
- It has an excellent, extensive, herbal program, with training in managing and administering herbal medicine and other treatment plans according to the philosophy and practices within an Ayurvedic framework.
- It provides a deep training in Ayurvedic psychology to provide the skills in listening and counselling required to assist patients with mental and emotional complications that arise with their health issues.
- It is integrated with Yoga therapy. Ayureda and yoga rest upon the same philosophy and arise from the same Vedic-rishi traditions.
- It has a clinical foundation. Ayurveda is a complete medical system capable of helping humanity to heal a wide array of chronic diseases that confound Western physicians.
- It embraces the skills needed to work as a practitioner in Ayurvedic Therapeutic and Remedial Treatments, including Ayurvedic herbal medicine, Ayurvedic massage and Ayurvedic nutritional advice.
- It includes actual experiential practices.
What is included in this Advanced Diploma course?
The course encompasses a variety of subjects and areas including:-
- Ayurvedic nutrition
- Ayurvedic herbal medicine
- Panchakarma practices
- Ayurvedic massage and therapies
- Marmas (specific points in the body) and chakras.
In addition, biomedical sciences, communication and basic counselling, workplace health and safety, practice management, professional practice and development in relation to the practice of Ayurveda are covered. Many other short courses are also offered to complement the course and create awareness of other natural therapy modalities such as yoga, meditation, vedic astrology and more.
Students progress through the course by completing HIA subjects that are mapped against nationally endorsed units of competency from the health training package. Upon completion of all the HIA subjects and clinical requirements students will receive a nationally recognised qualification. Students may have to complete more than one HIA subject to gain a complete unit of competency.
Ayurvedic training at the Health Institute Australia covers:-
- Ayurvedic Nutrition
- Ayurvedic Cooking
- Kitchen Pharmacy
- Herbal Medicine and Therapy
- Pulse diagnosis
- Tongue diagnosis
- Marma point therapy
- Yoga, Pranayama, Nidra, Meditation
- Ayurvedic Massage and Treatments
- Ayurvedic Remedial therapies
- Herbal Medicine
- Stress Management
- Lifestyle and Dietary Counselling
Supervised Clinical Training
Students are required to complete a minimum 400 hours of supervised clinical training. These clinical sessions are conducted and supervised by qualified practitioners at the student clinic on our Gold Coast campus and at Nirvana Wellness Retreat.
Advanced Diploma subjects:
|Ayurvedic Course Units||Year|
|HLTAYV001||Develop Ayurvedic practice||1st|
|HLTAYV002||Make Ayurvedic lifestyle assessments||1st|
|HLTAYV003||Provide Ayurvedic bodywork therapies||1st|
|HLTAYV004||Provide Ayurvedic lifestyle advice||1st|
|HLTAYV005||Provide advice on Ayurvedic nutrition||1st|
|HLTAYV006||Take cases within an Ayurvedic framework||2nd|
|HLTAYV007||Diagnose conditions within an Ayurvedic framework||2nd|
|HLTAYV008||Provide Ayurvedic remedial therapies||2nd|
|HLTAYV009||Provide therapeutic Ayurvedic nutritional advice||2nd|
|HLTAYV010||Select and advise on Ayurvedic medicines – dravyaguna||2nd|
|HLTAYV011||Prepare and dispense Ayurvedic medicines – dravyaguna||2nd|
|HLTAYV012||Monitor and evaluate Ayurvedic treatments||2nd|
|CHCCOM006||Establish and manage client relationships||1st|
|CHCDIV001||Work with diverse people||1st|
|CHCLEG003||Manage legal and ethical compliance||1st|
|CHCPRP003||Reflect on and improve own professional practice||1st|
|CHCPRP005||Engage with health professionals and the health system||1st|
|HLTAAP003||Analyse and respond to client health information||2nd|
|HLTINF004||Manage the prevention and control of infection||1st|
|HLTWHS004||Manage work health and safety||1st|
|HLTAID003||Provide first aid. This unit to be completed externally. Not included in course fees.||1st|
|BSBSMB404||Undertake small business planning||1st|
|CHCAGE001||Facilitate the empowerment of older people||1st|
|CHCCCS001||Address the needs of people with chronic disease||1st|
|CHCDIS007||Facilitate the empowerment of people with disability||1st|
|CHCMHS001||Work with people with mental health issues||1st|
Units of Competency
For the Advanced Diploma in Ayurveda you need to achieve competencies in the following:
|Units of Competency|
|BSBFLM303B||Contribute to effective workplace relationships|
|HLTCOM502||Develop professional expertise|
|HLTCOM4A||Communicate effectively with clients/patients|
|HLTCOM5A||Administer a Practice/|
|HLTCOM6A||Make referrals to other health care professionals when appropriate|
|HLTCOM8A||Use specific medical terminology to communicate with clients/patients|
|HLTHSE1A||mplement and monitor occupational health and safety policies|
|HLTHSE2A||Implement & monitor OH&S policies, procedures & programs|
|BSBCMN204A||Work effectively with others|
|BSBCMN303A||Contribute to the effective workplace relationship|
|HLTIN1A||Manage infection control|
|HLTIN4A||Manage infection control|
|HLTHIR2A||Contribute to organisational effectiveness in the health industry|
|HLTFA2A||Apply advanced first aid|
|HLTAYV1A||Plan the Ayurvedic herbal medicine treatment strategy – dravyaguna|
|HLTAYV2A||Plan the Ayurvedic treatment strategy – chikitsa|
|HLTAYV3A||Prepare and dispense Ayurvedic Herbal Medicine – dravyaguna|
|HLTAYV4A||Provide Ayurvedic advice on nutrition – Aahar|
|HLTAYV5A||Plan the Ayurvedic Herbal Medicine treatment|
|HLTAYV6A||Provide Ayurvedic relaxation massage treatment|
|HLTAYV7A||Plan the Ayurvedic Remedial massage treatment strategy|
|HLTAYV8A||Manage work within the Ayurvedic framework|
|HLTAYV9A||Perform Ayurvedic health assessment|
|HLTAVY10A||Provide Ayurvedic Remedial Massage health assessment|
|HLTAYV11A||Provide Ayurvedic Remedial Massage treatment|
|HLTAYV12A||Provide Ayurvedic lifestye consultation|
|HLTAYV13A||Provide Ayurvedic treatment|
|HLTAYV14A||Work within an Ayurvedic framework for lifestyle consultants|
|HLTAYV15A||Diagnosis of a disease, nidana – Apply Ayurvedic diagnostic framework|
Your Advanced Diploma in Ayurveda Package Includes:
Inclusive in the fees for this course are the following:
All course materials
All course materials for Modules 1-10, common units, Ayurvedic cooking and Ayurvedic massage modules are included.
+ Course Manuals:
+ Contact journal
class attendance for your period of study
at the Health Institute Australia as per the timetable
Weekly face to face tutorials.
+ Living Yoga:
RESIDENTIAL WEEKEND RETREAT & 10 day spring detox
Your course includes:-
- a residential weekend retreat comprising shared accommodation, delicious vegetarian meals and program and yoga duties.
- 10 Day Spring Detox (Optional, Cost $150 per day to Ayurveda students) – 10 days of Retreat Lectures with BAMS Ayuredic Doctor Manish Patwardhan. See Optional Extras below for more detail.
Residential Weekend Retreat
Healthy Mind, Healthy Body and Ayurvedic cooking retreat
“Healthy mind, healthy body” is an ayurvedic nutrition and cooking residential weekend at our Nirvana Wellness Retreat.
Ayurveda is a science that has its roots in ancient Indian culture. It’s simple and extremely practical significance can be adapted to our culture and time. It is the ‘mother of all healing systems’ as it embraces all modalities. We have re-created the most idyllic Ayurvedic retreat, Nirvana Wellness Retreat on 70 acres, where you can attend tutorials, practicum and immersion programs.
This weekend retreat is compulsory for all ayurvedic student to attend. It includes shared accommodation, meals, program and yoga duties.
(Massages, wellness treatments, single room upgrade and special diets are available as optional extras.)
10 Day Spring Detox (Optional)
- “Creating Health and Harmony” – 10 days of Retreat Lectures with BAMS Ayuredic Doctor Manish Patwardhan.
Daily lectures are held from 10am-1pm and cost $150 per day for current HIA Ayurvedic students.
- These lectures are held at the beautiful Nirvana Wellness Retreat, Beechmont QLD. Students will be required to travel to the retreat for the 10 day course with Dr. Patwardhan. (It takes approximately 40 minutes to drive from the Gold Coast to the retreat). Alternatively, student accommodation and meals are an optional extra.
Lunch & accommodation for the 10 Day Detox
You can purchase lunch ($15) at the retreat when you are attending the 10-day Spring Detox lectures. You can also book and stay for the entire 10-day program which would be the ideal situation.
Accommodation is subsidised for Ayurvedic course students @ $100/night per person for accommodation (minimum 2 nights).
Meals are: $20 Breakfast $15 supper.
Selected Ayurveda students from the Health Institute Australia may be offered the opportunity to participate in studies in India, and clinical placement at a leading Ayurvedic Hospital in Pune, India.
Clinical placement costs / travel / accommodation, etc. are at an additional cost.
4 week program of Ayurvedic studies in India in January 2015
Assessment will be conducted jointly by your teachers from the Ayurveda Institute (AI) in India, together with the Health Institute Australia (HIA).
Three units from the Advanced Diploma of Ayurveda: HLT62615
- together with revision of the basic principles of Ayurveda
These units of competency will be given credit to students who have been assessed in them and who wish to enrol in the full Advanced Diploma of Ayurveda with the Health Institute Australia.
Two groups of students are eligible to attend this 4 week intensive in India:
- Upon completion of the Cert IV in Ayurvedic Lifestyle Consultation course or the Diploma in Ayurvedic Lifestyle Consultation course, students can enrol for just this 4 week intensive study in India, and start to practice.
- For students want to continue their studies for the Advanced Diploma of Ayurveda, the fees they have paid towards enrolment and their studies in India through HIA, together with the subjects they have studied, will be recognised and credited towards the Advanced Diploma of Ayurveda.
Also included are field trips to:-
- Ayurvedic pharmacy to see the production of medicine
- Ayurvedic hospital
- Ayurvedic herb garden
- Clinics with patients 1:1
- Panchakarma training
Professional Association Memberships
Graduates from The Health Institute are eligible for membership and encouraged to join professional associations relevant to their modality and location. Annual membership to AAPA is encouraged and necessary for insurance purposes. Australasian Ayurvedic Practitioners Association has various levels of membership:
- Ayurvedic Practitioner $85
- Ayurvedic Clinical Consultant $55
- Ayurvedic Trainee $25
- Associate/Friend $25
Senior First Aid
Senior First Aid is compulsory for graduates who wish to join a professional association such as AAPA for insurance purposes. Students are required to pay for their own first aid course.
At the completion of the course, students receive an Advanced Diploma of Ayurveda. This qualification is from the Australian Government accredited Health Training Package and is Austudy and CRICOS approved.
Occupational titles for these workers may include:
- Ayurveda practitioner
- Ayurveda therapist
The Advanced Diploma of Ayurveda course trains you as an Ayurvedic Practitioner. You will learn to check the equilibrium of each person, defining their composition and help them quantify the status of their equilibrium through Ayurvedic Diagnosis. You will also help the patient achieve optimum health and well-being through recommending natural Ayurvedic medicine, Panchakarma, Detox & cleanses, Nutrition advice, Shirodhara, Massage & Yoga therapies for stress management etc.
Our extensive hands-on training prepares you for entry into the work force or your own practice.
The Health Institute Australia provides outstanding training for the Ayurvedic Practitioner in the following areas:-
- Through our excellent, extensive, herbal program, you will be trained in managing and administering herbal medicine and other treatment plans according to the philosophy and practices within an Ayurvedic framework.
- You will have deep training in Ayurvedic psychology to provide you with the skills in listening and counselling required to assist patients with mental and emotional complications that arise with their health issues.
- Your training is integrated with Yoga therapy. Ayurveda and yoga are founded upon the same philosophy and arise from the same Vedic-rishi traditions.
- Your training has a clinical foundation. Ayurveda is a complete medical system capable of helping humanity to heal a wide array of chronic diseases that confound Western physicians.
- You will gain the skills needed to work as a practitioner in Ayurvedic Therapeutic and Remedial Treatments, including Ayurvedic herbal medicine, Ayurvedic massage and Ayurvedic nutritional advice.
Industry Recognition and Licensing Requirements
Upon completion of the course, graduates are eligible to apply for memberships at professional associations such as the Australasian Ayurvedic Practitioners Association (AAPA) or other professional membership organisations that represent Ayurvedic practitioners. However Industry association may require additional information and conditions for membership and requirements may change periodically. As such, prospective students are encouraged to contact the relevant professional bodies for current membership requirements. Currently there are no licensing requirements to practice Ayurveda in Australia.
Ayurveda offers a diverse range of career pathways, and opportunities are increasing with the acceptance of Ayurveda into western medicine. Typical career options include:-
- Ayurvedic Lifestyle Management Consultant
- Ayurvedic Massage Therapist
- Ayurvedic Practitioner
- Health Food Consultant
- Ayurvedic Cook
- Vedic Life Coach
- Yoga & Meditation Practitioner
- Clinical Training
Students who have completed any of the Advanced Diploma of Ayurveda or other Diploma courses offered by the Health Institute Australia are eligible to apply for the Bachelor of Health Science (Complementary Medicine) degree or Advanced Diploma of Yoga Teacher Training.
What is Ayurveda?
Ayurveda is the knowledge of life and health. It is Indian naturopathy which stems from the time of the Vedas. It is the oldest and most comprehensive system of medicine invented for humankind. The term Ayurveda means the ‘science of life’.
… Read more about ‘What is Ayurveda’
Nationally and Internationally Recognized Qualifications
High quality ayurvedic medicine
Nutrition program like no other
or Download the course brochure or Enquire below for more information