Yoga for Life from the Health Institute Australasia is part of our Yoga Teacher Training Core Program. It is a 600-hour Course.
2018 Starting Dates:
You may choose one of four possible start dates in each year:Course Dates:
COURSE STARTING DATES
2018 Course Starting Dates:
- Monday 22 January 2018
- Monday 16 April 2018
- Monday 16 July 2018
- Monday 8 October 2018
2019 Starting Dates:
- Tuesday 29 January 2019
- Tuesday 23 April 2019
- Monday 15 July 2019
- Tuesday 8 October 2019
2020 Starting Dates:
- Tues 28 January 2020
- Monday 20 April 2020
- Monday 13 July 2020
- Tuesday 6 October 2020.
COURSE TERM DATES
- Monday 22 January - Thursday 29 March 2018
- Monday 16 April - Friday 29 June 2018
- Monday 16 July - Friday 21 September 2018
- Monday 8 October - Friday 14 December 2018
- Tuesday 29 January - Friday 5 April 2019
- Tuesday 23 April - Friday 28 June 2019
- Monday 15 July - Friday 20 September 2019
- Tuesday 8 October - Friday 13 December 2019
- Tues 28 January - Friday, 3 April 2020
- Monday 20 April - Friday 26 June 2020
- Monday 13 July - Friday 18 September 2020
- Tuesday 6 October - Friday 11 December 2020.
* NOTE: The Weekly Practicum schedule in the above 2019 timetables may be subject to change. Please download these timetables again or check the times with our Office Administrator at the beginning of your term.
- Full-time students must complete their lecture, tutorial and attendance within the allocated period.
- It is mandatory to sign off hours attended immediately after each and every attendance (class, tutorial, retreat, whatever) and student logbooks need to be kept current. They remain the property of the Institute in your file for assessment validation.
- Bollywood hours can be added to course attendance hours conditionally. They are relevant to the course to help the student master concentration, pay attention, cultivate their memory and overcome nervousness. This is achieved when an entire dance is learnt, over the 10-week term, and performed – a fitting assessment to the learning. No hours can be clocked up for spasmodic attendance.
See also Forms, Fees, Policies
|Qualification||Yoga for Life|
|Delivery mode||On-campus or by correspondence
(correspondence option is available for both domestic & international students).
|Start Dates||22 Jan 2018, 16 April 2018, 16 July 2018, 8 Oct 2018
(You may choose one of four start dates in 2018)
|Awarded by||Health Institute Australasia|
|Fee||Click here for forms, fees and policies|
|Entry requirements||IELTS score 5.5 is required for international students|
Yoga for Life represents the foundation course in Shanti Yoga, meticulously designed and taught by Shantiji and Shanti Yoga teachers. It is a complete introduction to the foundations of yoga and its wisdom traditions, designed to be applied to the complexity of our daily lives and to develop health, courage and sanity in these troubled times of uncertainty.
This course helps you deepen your own practices and understanding of the philosophy and psychology of Yoga. It is suitable for both beginners and those who are experienced in yoga practice.
Commence your formal studies with yoga for self-maintenance and establish the foundational curriculum and groundwork for all subsequent training. The Yoga for Life course is the foundation for a progressive, deep, exploration program of yoga and yourself. It introduces participants to several basic practices of yoga drawn from the unique lineages of Hatha (Tantra) and Raja Yoga, Samkhya and Vedanta. The training delves into:-
- The ethical principles (yamas) and observances (niyamas)
- The postures (asana)
- Breathwork (pranayama)
- Deep yogic healing relaxation (nidra)
- Concentration and meditation (dharana and dhyana)
- Dietary understanding and purification
- Physical and subtle anatomy
- Scriptural study
- Yogic lifestyle
… and includes actual experiential practices, lectures, sat sang, kirtan and darshan.
Core Units of Competency
|Unit Code||Unit Description|
|2||YOGAAH402A||Yoga and Ayurvedic Health and principles for self-care|
|3||YOGYHP403A||Yoga history, literature, and philosophy|
|4||YOGPYP404A||Yoga postures – asana|
|5||YOGDYB405A||Yoga breathing – pranayama|
|6||YOGDYR406A||Yoga relaxation -nidra|
|9||YOGPYC409A||Yoga chanting, kirtan, bhajan, sanskrit|
|10||YOGYEL410A||Yoga practices for ethical living|
|11||HLTAID003||Provide first aid is part of the course and must be studied in your first year. It is delivered externally and not included in your course fees.|
If you are a domestic student and elect to study by correspondence:-
- You will be required to attend 1 week of unlimited attendance on our campus (the Shanti Yoga Gold Coast studio)
- + You will receive 1 FREE weekend yoga residential retreat at the Nirvana Wellness Sanctuary, Gold Coast
The majority of your units can be completed via distance education with the facilities of online training, Skype tutorials, resource materials, homework and assignments.
The flexibility of correspondence allows you to start at any time. Correspondence can take advantage of our private 1-1 Skype tutorials with our lecturers (optional); these can be arranged at a mutually suitable time, 30 minutes once a month for a duration of 10 months.
The duration of correspondence study is 1 year.
Read more on our Online Yoga Teacher Training page.
Yoga has been shown to positively benefit one’s emotional, mental and social well-being.
This course provides the student with the confidence and skills, in a mix of fundamental yoga theory and practices. It introduces the student to practical experience in yoga asana (postures), pranayama (yoga breathing), nidra (yoga relaxation), meditation, mantra, chanting, yoga health, with an introduction to the basic study of anatomy and physiology, ayurveda, yogic cooking, yogic and life philosophy including the fundamentals of self mastery, concentration, leadership and ethics. It also covers the deep and historical origins and background of yoga.
It is also the common, first, academic year, and provides the underpinning and foundational knowledge and skills whereby students without any previous study in yoga can enrol to undertake higher education in the form of the Yoga Teacher Training and Advanced Yoga Teacher Training. Students experience a culturally rich, academically rigorous, integrative and holistic approach that sets them up for a successful study experience that leads to a wholesome, richer life.
What is included in this foundational course?
The program and curriculum revolves around super health in the following:
- Sharira – optimum health for the body.
- Sundara – rejuvenation, anti-ageing, beauty and inspiration
- Shudha – detoxification, for purity of mind and body
- Sukha – emotional de-stress and happiness
- Santosha – contentment
- Shakti – energy and positivity
- Shanti – peace, peace, deep peace
Fundamental classroom training:
Class attendance. On the mat and meditation cushion, in an ideal world would equate to 10 hours a week to accrue 400 hours a year. The Shanti Yoga™ clear teaching style and Shantiji’s relaxed sense of humor will provide you with a complete yoga, breathing, relaxation and meditation practice that teaches you how to express your life’s true purpose creatively and confidently.
Face-to-face practice on the mat and meditation cushion includes:
- Nidra (deep relaxation and self healing)
- Pranayama (yoga breathing)
- Bharat Natyam (classical Indian culture and dance)
- Bollywood (contemporary Indian dance)
- Kirtan (chanting)
- Darshan (philosophy & discourse from the wisdom teachings and discussion with Q&A)
- Karma Yoga (selfless service)
20 weeks of peaceful, instructional tutorials, per academic year, provide the Shanti Yoga™ curriculum on Monday evenings, 4:45-6:45pm. These are conducted in discrete modules, which wholistically meld into the syllabus. They accrue 80 course hours per year and can be attended by Skype.
13 March 2017 or 6 Nov 2017
- Children’s Yoga (optional)
1-2 April 2017 or 7-8 Oct 2017
Weekly Sutras Tutorials:
- COURSE 1 – Samadhi Pada
The Nature of Yoga: Unified consciousness – Cessation of thought and contemplative calm
20 April – 22 June 2017, Thursdays 2-3:30pm
- COURSE 2 – Sadhana Pada
The Practice of Yoga: Eight limbs
5 Oct -7 Dec 2017, Thursdays 2-3:30pm
Residential weekend retreats
Spend a peaceful and wholesome weekend with Shanti Yoga teachers and mentors. There are 4 residential retreats per year that are included in your course curriculum. They are a bonus and a gift from Shantiji and no fees are levied for twin-share accommodation. Upgrades to a single room are based on availability.
Retreats are Healthy Living Immersion Programs that offer you a holistic approach to health. This means that you focus not only on the health of the body, but also on the mind and heart and environment, helping you discover a new level of wellness and vitality. Friday 4pm to Sunday 4 pm.
RESIDENTIAL WEEKEND RETREATS 2017 & 2018
SPRING (2017) & SUMMER (2018) INTAKES
16-18 Feb 2018: Believe in Yourself, Transform your life
23-25 March 2018: Meaning, Purpose, Happiness
15-17 June 2018: Cook Taste, Heal: Healthy Mind, Healthy Body
11-13 May 2018: Emotional Wellbeing
AUTUMN (2017) & WINTER (2017) INTAKES
21-23 July 2017: Cook Taste, Heal: Healthy Mind, Healthy Body
11-13 Aug 2017: Believe in Yourself
8-10 Sep 2017: Meaning, Purpose, Happiness
10–12 Nov 2017: Emotional Wellbeing
Note: Massages, wellness treatments, single room upgrade and special diets are available as optional extras.
Course curriculum is changed periodically to reflect the changing needs of the profession, to retain leadership in academic standards, and to fulfil the changing needs of the end user in the world.
Your Yoga for Life Package includes:
Inclusive in the fees for this course are the following:
+ Contact journal
class attendance for your period of study
at the Health Institute Australasia as per the timetable:
Hatha Yoga, stretch and tone
Nidra, deep relaxation & self healing
Meditation, focus and concentration
Pranayama, breathe and heal
Kirtan, chanting, sound and vibration therapy
Darshan, philosophy & discussion with Shanti Gowans
Bharat Natyam, classical Indian culture and dance (optional)
Bollywood – contemporary Indian dance (optional)
Yoga Postures (asana)
Yoga Breathing (pranayama)
Yoga Relaxation (nidra)
Effective Concentration (dharana)
Yoga Meditation (dhyana)
Yoga Sound (Sanskrit calligraphy, pronunciation, chanting)
Yoga Leadership and business skills
What’s It All About
+ Living Yoga:
4 residential weekends of psycho-spiritual retreats during your course
(including shared accommodation, meals, program and yoga duties)
Massages, wellness treatments, single room upgrade and special diets are available as optional extras.
Topics for Cert IV Yoga course students:
Healthy Mind, Healthy Body and Ayurvedic cooking retreat
What is your Dharma? Meaning, Purpose, Happiness
Believe in Yourself, Transform your Life.
N.B. Additional course notes are provided
in subsequent levels of training, namely
– Yoga Teacher Training
– Advanced Yoga Teacher Training.
Graduates of Yoga for Life will have broad factual, technical and theoretical knowledge in the specialised field of yoga. They will have:
- Cognitive skills to identify, analyse, compare and act on yoga information from a range of sources
- Cognitive, technical and communication skills to apply and communicate yoga solutions to a range of predictable and unpredictable problems
- Specialist yoga skills to execute routine and non-routine yoga tasks and functions
- Communication skills to share their yoga learning
What is Yoga?
Yoga represents universal aspirations, ideals, sentiments and practices for a harmonious life. It stems from an Indian art of freedom and wellness that has been practised for over two thousand years.
Shanti Yoga is a unique and integrated system of yoga developed by yoga master Shanti Gowans. The Shanti Yoga program is a holistic program for body, mind and spirit. Physically, Shanti Yoga presents a form of gentle, relaxing exercise, that strengthens the joints, muscles, tendons and bones, increases flexibility, stimulates the circulation of energy in the body, and enhances mental clarity. This provides the foundations for sitting meditation practice towards emotional wellbeing, peace of mind and enlightenment. Slow movements, mindful stretching, floor, sitting and standing postures, internal self-massage, yogic breath work together with meditation allow healthy individuals to maintain physical and mental well-being.
or Enquire below for more information